online MD5 crack database

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Mon Aug 22 08:59:11 EDT 2005

This website has a large database of MD5 hashes of common passwords:

http://gdataonline.com/

Presumably, as storage continues to get cheaper, this sort of thing
will only become easier.

Ways to ameliorate it? Consistently using long (64 bits or more) salts
with hashed passwords makes storing such databases much harder, and
encouraging the use of far longer passphrases with much more entropy
reduces the problem further. Longer hashes are also a good idea.

None of this is new -- I'm just noting that the trend continues apace.

Perry
PS I found the link off of a /. story earlier today