spyware targets bank customers. news at 11.

Adam Fields cryptography23094893 at aquick.org
Wed Aug 10 13:18:21 EDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 04:11:31PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Perry E. Metzger:
>
> >    "A major identity theft ring has been discovered that affects up to 50
> >     banks, according to Sunbelt Software, the security company that says
> >     it uncovered the operation. The operation, which is being
> >     investigated by the FBI, is gathering personal data from
> >     "thousands of machines" using keystroke-logging software, Sunbelt
> >     said Monday."
> >
> > http://news.com.com/ID+theft+ring+hits+50+banks%2C+firm+says/2100-7349_3-5823591.html
>
> I should point out that most players in the field don't rush to the
> press with their findings, in order not to impact a pending law
> enforcement investigation.

They stated on their blog that they only did so because they couldn't
get anyone's attention in law enforcement, and now that the FBI is
involved, they're not saying anything else (and yes, their actions are
being questioned in the comments).

http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2005/08/massive-identity-theft-ring.html
http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2005/08/more-on-identity-theft-ring.html

Except that while I've written the above I've noticed a followup which
has more details and says they're going to have a fix today:

http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2005/08/keylogger-from-hell.html

--
				- Adam

** I can fix your database problems: http://www.everylastounce.com/mysql.html **