[Lucrative-L] double spends, identity agnosticism, and Lucrative

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Apr 30 09:56:59 EDT 2005

> From: "Patrick" <patrick at lfcgate.com>
> To: <lucrative-l at lucrative.thirdhost.com>
> Subject: [Lucrative-L] double spends, identity agnosticism, and
> Lucrative Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:46:48 -0600 Importance: Normal
> Sender: owner-lucrative-l at lucrative.thirdhost.com
>

>  A quick experiment has confirmed the obvious: when a client
> reissues a coin at the mint, both the blinded and its unblinded cousin
> are valid instruments to the Lucrative mint.
>
>  Example: Alice uses the Mint's API to reissue a one-dollar note,
> blinding the coin before getting a signature, and unblinding the
> signature afterwards. She's left with both a blinded and a non-blinded
> version of the coin. The mint believes they are both valid. Instant,
> unlimited inflation.
>
>  I believe the solution to this is to have the mint track both
> spent coins and issued coins (that is, it automatically cancels coins
> it issues, before the client receives them). The client is left with
> no choice but to go through a blinding and unblinding process in order
> to have a usable coin.
>
>  This seems to make identity-agnostic cash difficult or
> impossible, at least with Lucrative:
> http://www.io.com/~cman/agnostic.html,
> http://cypherpunks.venona.com/date/1995/09/msg00197.html .

Since the patent expires shortly, the legal reason for identity
agnostic cash has expired.  Today, if you don't want the overheads of
tracking your customers, the solution is that you can refrain from
tracking your customers.

Whatever happened to Lucky Green's patent party - I keep sending him
emails, get no response.