Export controls kill Virgin SpaceShipTwo

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Sat Apr 30 05:29:32 EDT 2005

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/spacetravel-05y.html

First crypto, now space travel.  The lunatics in Washington are
working hard to drive another industry that's critical to US interests
overseas.

Did they think that after collecting $20M in prepayments from
passengers, Sir Richard Branson would give up, on orders from DC?  No,
he'll clone Rutan's work somewhere else, as best he can, and build a
space industry where it's welcome.  Either that, or Rutan will take
his head and export it to where he can run a business without
interference.

	John

  Red Tape For SpaceShipTwo
  by Irene Mona Klotz
  Cape Canaveral (UPI) Apr 26, 2005

  The problem is U.S. export controls issues ...
  "At this point, due to uncertainty about possible licensing
  requirements, we are not able to even view Scaled Composites' designs
  for the commercial space vehicle," Whitehorn said. "After U.S.
  government technology-transfer issues are clarified and addressed if
  deemed necessary, we hope to place a firm order for the spacecraft."

  Despite a price tag of $200,000, about 100 people have signed contracts
  for rides on Virgin Galactic's spaceliner and agreed to pay the money
  upfront, while another 29,000 or so aspiring astronauts have agreed to
  put down deposits of $20,000 each.