Customs and Excise Electronic Returns

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Sep 30 00:58:13 EDT 2004

Ben Laurie <ben at algroup.co.uk> writes:

>Oh yeah, another gem from the eVAT FAQ:
>
>"The Government Gateway and Digital Certificate authorities do not currently
>support the use of Digital Certificates on Apple Macintosh"
>
>Well, of course not, because everyone knows that Apple X.509 is completely
>different from Microsoft X.509. Duh.

I've seen this one before, this happens when the CA generates your private key
and emails it to you, a relatively common practice.  Since the Mac can't
import the PFX/PKCS #12 files used by MSIE/CryptoAPI, you can't use them on
the Macintosh.

(This was pre-OS X, I don't know what the status is now, it may still be
 something that requires MS CryptoAPI to work, or maybe the web page is just
 out of date).

Peter.