Academics locked out by tight visa controls

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Wed Sep 22 13:31:45 EDT 2004

Hi Dan,

   Not Rome, but in Athens, Pericles said, in his funeral oration:

"The freedom which we enjoy in our democratic government extends also
to our ordinary life. We throw open our city to the world, and never
by alien acts exclude foreigners from any opportunity of learning or
observing although the eyes of an enemy may occasionally profit by our
liberality. We live exactly as we please and yet are just as ready to
encounter every legitimate danger. If with habits not of labor but of
ease, and courage not of art but of nature, we are still willing to
encounter anger, we have the double advantage of not suffering
hardships before we need to, and of facing them in the hour of need as
fearlessly as those who are never free from them. The price of courage
will surely be awarded most justly to those who best know the
difference between hardship and pleasure and yet are never tempted to
shrink from danger. And it is only democratic people who, fearless of
consequences, confer their benefits not from calculations of
expediency but in the confidence of liberality. Judging happiness to
be the fruit of freedom and freedom of valor never decline the dangers
of war."

This has been at the top of my personal web page for most of the last
3 years.

Adam