Kerberos Design

Thomas Themel themel at iwoars.net
Wed Sep 1 14:59:28 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm currently looking into implementing a single sign-on solution for
distributed services.

The requirement profile seems to somewhat fit Kerberos, but I'm
not entirely convinced that I can use it in my scenario - which can't
simply run an off-the-shelf KDC and use UDP for communication with it.

However, years of reading various crypto resources have strongly
conditioned me against simple-minded attempts to "roll my own" as a
crypto dilletante.

I've been trying to study Kerberos' design history in the recent past
and have failed to come up with a good resource that explains why things
are built the way they are.

Since I'm already using OpenSSL for various SSL/x.509 related things,
I'm most astonished by the almost total absence of public key
cryptography in Kerberos, and I haven't been able to find out why this
design choice was made - performance reasons, given that at its
inception public key operation cost was probably much more prohibitive?

So, I'd like to ask the audience:

- Is there a good web/book/whatever resource regarding the design
  of Kerberos? Amazon offers the O'Reilly book, which, from the
  abstract, seems to take the cryptographic design of Kerberos as
  a given and concentrates on its usage, and another one that also
  doesn't seem to give much detail on the issue. Something in the
  direction of EKR's SSL/TLS book would be very much appreciated.

- Is Kerberos a sane choice to adapt for such solutions today?
  Is there anything more recent that I should be aware of?

thanks,
--
[*Thomas  Themel*]
[extended contact] But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: