[off-topic, but not by ukcrypto standards] ukcrypto-moderated pre-moderators needed

Ben Laurie ben at algroup.co.uk
Sat Oct 30 12:40:00 EDT 2004

OK, since my previous attempt to create a lower volume
ukcrypto-like-thing failed, I have concluded that the only way to handle
the problem is to produce a moderated version of ukcrypto. I know for
sure there's demand for this, but I also know that the volume is too
high for traditional moderation methods (at least too high for _me_ to
use traditional moderation).

So, I'm going to try doing this a different way. What I want is
volunteers who will undertake to, when it is convenient, sift through
the currently unsifted-through postings to ukcrypto and choose
candidates for moderation (and rejection). This will be done via an IMAP
server, so volunteers need to have an email client that is capable of
handling shared IMAP folders without frying its brains. If potential
volunteers are in doubt as to whether they qualify, get in touch and
we'll figure it out.

To explain a little more clearly what is entailed... there will be a
folder with a copy of all ukcrypto mail in it. Volunteers will examine
this and, for each message, do one of three things:

a) Leave it where it is (when in doubt)

b) Move it to a "rejected" folder

c) Move it to a "premoderation" folder

I will then do final moderation on the contents of the premoderation
folder (to be clear: I'll also do premoderation, just like everyone else).

The idea behind this is that the load will be spread over the
volunteers, so each one will only have to deal with a fraction of the
total volume, _and_ moderation will be done in a convenient and familiar
fashion, with threading and all that good stuff.

I'm copying this to Perry's list because I'm sure there are people who
might like to read the output of this process (and might, therefore,
volunteer as premoderators), but are not on ukcrypto because of the
volume. Please feel free to forward this to other lists/individuals that
might be interested.

Pre-moderators, please apply directly to me.

Discussion/questions can go wherever you prefer.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
ApacheCon! 13-17 November! http://www.apachecon.com/