Financial identity is *dangerous*? (was re: Fake companies, real money)

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Sat Oct 23 01:58:26 EDT 2004

Ian Grigg wrote:

> James A. Donald wrote:
>
>>> we already have the answer, and have had it for a decade: store it
>>> on a trusted machine. Just say no to Windows XP. It's easy,
>>> especially when he's storing a bearer bond worth a car.
>>

>> What machine, attached to a network, using a web browser, and sending
>> and receiving mail, would you trust?
>

> None. But a machine that had one purpose in life:
> to manage the bearer bond, that could be trusted
> to a reasonable degree. The trick is to stop
> thinking of the machine as a general purpose
> computer and think of it as a platform for one
> single application. Then secure that machine/OS/
> stack/application combination.
>
> Oh, and make it small enough to fit in the pocket,
> put a display *and* a keypad on it, and tell the
> user not to lose it.
>
> iang

How much difference is there, practically, between this and using a
smartcard credit card in an external reader with a keypad? Aside from
the weight of the 'computer' in your pocket...

That would seem to me a more realistic expectation on consumers who are
going to have, before too long, credit cards that fit that description
and quite possibly the readers to go with them.

Aaron