Undergraduate wireless LAN security project?

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 12:01:17 EDT 2004

There's the ever popular wireless security gateway.

Assume you have a mixed population of users on the wireless, some of
whom are trustworthy, some are evil. Some are Admin users, some are
guests. Some are wizards, some are clueless. All of them want to "do
their thing on the wireless."

Keeping in mind all the fun attacks you can use on a wireless net, how
would you go about making network access secure (available, private,
reliable, accountable, controlled) enough and yet be usable to the
average doofus? Enumerate the risks, specific exposures, available
attacks and countermeasures.

I've done it, and it's not hugely hard to do or use.

=========

Think back to the days of thin-net (etc.) where ethernet really was a
broadcast medium. Back then, it was radio over coax, not radio over
air. Many of the same issues still apply. But it's easier to get
802.11 gear these days than it is to get 10b2....

CK