Article on passwords in Wired News

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jun 3 12:13:04 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 08:14:39PM +1200, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> One-time passwords (TANs) was another thing I covered in the "Why isn't the
> Internet secure yet, dammit!" talk I mentioned here a few days ago.  From
> talking to assorted (non-European) banks, I haven't been able to find any that

Customers hate PINs/TANs (have to carry then around, PINs typically are not
alphanumeric, and fixed-length, print is low-contrast). Which is why power
users have a (Windows-only, for some reason couldn't get GNUcash working,
despite right crypto libraries and proper port punched through firewall)
HBCI software alternatives. Which are not used widely, alas.

Banks tried to push smart cards, but very half-heartedly (didn't offer free
readers, which could have created critical mass). Now some folks are trying
to use existing smartcard-authenticated mobile phone infrastructure for
online payments, but it has its own problems (Bluetooth/IrDa, security, fax
effect, etc).