Article on passwords in Wired News

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jun 3 04:14:39 EDT 2004

>An article on passwords and password safety, including this neat bit:
>
>   For additional security, she then pulls out a card that has 50
>   scratch-off codes. Jubran uses the codes, one by one, each time she
>   logs on or performs a transaction. Her bank, Nordea PLC, automatically
>   sends a new card when she's about to run out.
>
>http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,63670,00.html

One-time passwords (TANs) was another thing I covered in the "Why isn't the
Internet secure yet, dammit!" talk I mentioned here a few days ago.  From
talking to assorted (non-European) banks, I haven't been able to find any that
are planning to introduce these in the foreseeable future.  I've also been
unable to get any credible explanation as to why not, as far as I can tell
it's "We're not hurting enough yet".  Maybe it's just a cultural thing,
certainly among European banks it seems to be a normal part of allowing
customers online access to banking facilities.

(If anyone from the outside-Europe banking industry can provide me with an
 explanation for non-use of TANs that goes beyond "We're looking into it", I'd
 be interested in hearing from them).

Peter.