Using crypto against Phishing, Spoofing and Spamming...

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Mon Jul 26 22:07:08 EDT 2004

At 03:20 AM 7/18/2004, Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
>Can someone explain me how the "phishermen" escape identification and
>prosecution? Gaining online access to someone's account allows, at most,
>to execute wire transfers to other bank accounts: but in these days
>anonymous accounts are not exactly easy to get in any country, and anyway
>any bank large enough to be part of the SWIFT network would cooperate in
>the resolution of obviously criminal cases.

At least until a few years ago, and probably still today,
it was easy to get a non-anonymous account in the US using fake ID.
The "Know Your Customer" laws and other anti-terrorism fallout
may have encouraged banks to check SSNs a bit more carefully,
but as long as the person whose identity you're stealing
doesn't have horrendously bad or good credit,
it's probably still not hard.
If it costs you $100 in fake ID to get the account set up,
and you can burn the phish for $1000, then you win.

But credit cards are probably more common and certainly easier to use.
Buy laptops or other fungible goods, and sell them on eBay.