Using crypto against Phishing, Spoofing and Spamming...

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jul 24 20:25:28 EDT 2004

"Enzo Michelangeli" <em at em.no-ip.com> writes:

>Can someone explain me how the "phishermen" escape identification and
>prosecution? Gaining online access to someone's account allows, at most, to
>execute wire transfers to other bank accounts:

Some (a lot of?) large-scale phishing is done by or with the aid of
international organised crime, who have a great deal of experience in making
money disappear (or reappear in cleaned form).  Even without that expertise,
there are many, many ways to launder the money.  One that I heard of recently
is to go to small in-debt businesses and offer to pay off their debt, with the
business then paying back half that in cash to the phisher.  The business has
half their debt paid off, and the phisher has converted their wire transfer
into untraceable cash.

Peter.