FasTrak information

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Tue Jul 13 15:33:29 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 02:08, David Alexander Molnar wrote:
> >From what I understand, the London congestion charging scheme relies
> entirely on automatic plate recognition. See also this web page on police
> uses of ANPR in the UK:
> http://www.pito.org.uk/what_we_do/identification/anpr.htm
>
> Also interesting is this list of cities with congestion pricing, which has
> some information on the technologies they use for vehicle identification:
> http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/cc_fact_sheet_other_schemes.shtml

i was in toronto 18 months ago for business meeting ... and their toll
road is license plate based. at night a couple people offered to drive
to dinner reservations and unfortunately i was in a car that got stopped
for 20 minutes by the police because the rear license plate wasn't
readable. it had a "clear" plastic cover that had gotten coated & pitted
w/grime. simply wiping it off didn't work .... and nobody had a
screwdriver to undo the plate so the cover could be removed. finally a
call went out to any police car with a screwdriver. finally one showed
up.

there was apparently a scam with pickup trucks stopping and lowering the
tailgate just before passing a camera .... which was sufficient to foil
the camera but not enuf to alert the police.