Blinky Rides Again: RCMP suspect al-Qaida messages

John Kelsey kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 13 12:00:30 EST 2004

They're going to have the same problems as the rest of us using strong cryptography--configuration and usability problems, key management hassles, incompatibilities between versions and programs, etc.  They have to do this with no central authority, no single support line or person who can reliably start things up and help them, in a basically decentralized way.  The cypherpunkish idea of a decentralized conspiracy using strong crypto only works if either the tools are a lot easier to use, or if the conspiracy is made up of cryptographically sophisticated people.  AQ is presumably made up of people who know a lot about the Koran, and probably a lot about day-to-day operational security against the Pakistani or Indonesian secret police, but there's not much reason to think they are very sophisticated about cryptography.  If you can't get most computer-literate people you know to use PGP to send you e-mail, how well is it going to work to do with a bunch of random jihadis?

-John