Tor 0.0.9 is out (fwd from arma at mit.edu)

R.A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Mon Dec 13 09:04:36 EST 2004

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:05:25 +0100
From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
To: cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net
Subject: Tor 0.0.9 is out (fwd from arma at mit.edu)
Sender: owner-cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net

From: Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu>
Subject: Tor 0.0.9 is out
To: or-announce at freehaven.net
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:51:51 -0500

Aside from the many bug fixes, 0.0.9 includes a win32 installer, better
circuit building algorithms, bandwidth accounting and hibernation,
more efficient directory fetching, and support for a separate Tor GUI
controller program (once somebody writes one for us).

tarball:   http://tor.freehaven.net/dist/tor-0.0.9.tar.gz
signature: http://tor.freehaven.net/dist/tor-0.0.9.tar.gz.asc
win32 exe: http://tor.freehaven.net/dist/tor-0.0.9-win32.exe
win32 sig: http://tor.freehaven.net/dist/tor-0.0.9-win32.exe.asc
(use -dPr tor-0_0_9 if you want to check out from cvs)

  o Bugfixes on 0.0.8.1 (Crashes and asserts):
    - Catch and ignore SIGXFSZ signals when log files exceed 2GB; our
      write() call will fail and we handle it there.
    - When we run out of disk space, or other log writing error, don't
      crash. Just stop logging to that log and continue.
    - Fix isspace() and friends so they still make Solaris happy
      but also so they don't trigger asserts on win32.
    - Fix assert failure on malformed socks4a requests.
    - Fix an assert bug where a hidden service provider would fail if
      the first hop of his rendezvous circuit was down.
    - Better handling of size_t vs int, so we're more robust on 64
      bit platforms.

  o Bugfixes on 0.0.8.1 (Win32):
    - Make windows sockets actually non-blocking (oops), and handle
      win32 socket errors better.
    - Fix parse_iso_time on platforms without strptime (eg win32).
    - win32: when being multithreaded, leave parent fdarray open.
    - Better handling of winsock includes on non-MSV win32 compilers.
    - Change our file IO stuff (especially wrt OpenSSL) so win32 is
      happier.
    - Make unit tests work on win32.

  o Bugfixes on 0.0.8.1 (Path selection and streams):
    - Calculate timeout for waiting for a connected cell from the time
      we sent the begin cell, not from the time the stream started. If
      it took a long time to establish the circuit, we would time out
      right after sending the begin cell.
    - Fix router_compare_addr_to_addr_policy: it was not treating a port
      of * as always matching, so we were picking reject *:* nodes as
      exit nodes too. Oops.
    - When read() failed on a stream, we would close it without sending
      back an end. So 'connection refused' would simply be ignored and
      the user would get no response.
    - Stop a sigpipe: when an 'end' cell races with eof from the app,
      we shouldn't hold-open-until-flush if the eof arrived first.
    - Let resolve conns retry/expire also, rather than sticking around
      forever.
    - Fix more dns related bugs: send back resolve_failed and end cells
      more reliably when the resolve fails, rather than closing the
      circuit and then trying to send the cell. Also attach dummy resolve
      connections to a circuit *before* calling dns_resolve(), to fix
      a bug where cached answers would never be sent in RESOLVED cells.

  o Bugfixes on 0.0.8.1 (Circuits):
    - Finally fix a bug that's been plaguing us for a year:
      With high load, circuit package window was reaching 0. Whenever
      we got a circuit-level sendme, we were reading a lot on each
      socket, but only writing out a bit. So we would eventually reach
      eof. This would be noticed and acted on even when there were still
      bytes sitting in the inbuf.
    - Use identity comparison, not nickname comparison, to choose which
      half of circuit-ID-space each side gets to use. This is needed
      because sometimes we think of a router as a nickname, and sometimes
      as a hex ID, and we can't predict what the other side will do.

  o Bugfixes on 0.0.8.1 (Other):
    - Fix a whole slew of memory leaks.
    - Disallow NDEBUG. We don't ever want anybody to turn off debug.
    - If we are using select, make sure we stay within FD_SETSIZE.
    - When poll() is interrupted, we shouldn't believe the revents values.
    - Add a FAST_SMARTLIST define to optionally inline smartlist_get
      and smartlist_len, which are two major profiling offenders.
    - If do_hup fails, actually notice.
    - Flush the log file descriptor after we print "Tor opening log file",
      so we don't see those messages days later.
    - Hidden service operators now correctly handle version 1 style
      INTRODUCE1 cells (nobody generates them still, so not a critical
      bug).
    - Handle more errnos from accept() without closing the listener.
      Some OpenBSD machines were closing their listeners because
      they ran out of file descriptors.
    - Some people had wrapped their tor client/server in a script
      that would restart it whenever it died. This did not play well
      with our "shut down if your version is obsolete" code. Now people
      don't fetch a new directory if their local cached version is
      recent enough.
    - Make our autogen.sh work on ksh as well as bash.
    - Better torrc example lines for dirbindaddress and orbindaddress.
    - Improved bounds checking on parsed ints (e.g. config options and
      the ones we find in directories.)
    - Stop using separate defaults for no-config-file and
      empty-config-file. Now you have to explicitly turn off SocksPort,
      if you don't want it open.
    - We were starting to daemonize before we opened our logs, so if
      there were any problems opening logs, we would complain to stderr,
      which wouldn't work, and then mysteriously exit.
    - If a verified OR connects to us before he's uploaded his descriptor,
      or we verify him and hup but he still has the original TLS
      connection, then conn->nickname is still set like he's unverified.

  o Code security improvements, inspired by Ilja:
    - tor_snprintf wrapper over snprintf with consistent (though not C99)
      overflow behavior.
    - Replace sprintf with tor_snprintf. (I think they were all safe, but
      hey.)
    - Replace strcpy/strncpy with strlcpy in more places.
    - Avoid strcat; use tor_snprintf or strlcat instead.

  o Features (circuits and streams):
    - New circuit building strategy: keep a list of ports that we've
      used in the past 6 hours, and always try to have 2 circuits open
      or on the way that will handle each such port. Seed us with port
      80 so web users won't complain that Tor is "slow to start up".
    - Make kill -USR1 dump more useful stats about circuits.
    - When warning about retrying or giving up, print the address, so
      the user knows which one it's talking about.
    - If you haven't used a clean circuit in an hour, throw it away,
      just to be on the safe side. (This means after 6 hours a totally
      unused Tor client will have no circuits open.)
    - Support "foo.nickname.exit" addresses, to let Alice request the
      address "foo" as viewed by exit node "nickname". Based on a patch
      from Geoff Goodell.
    - If your requested entry or exit node has advertised bandwidth 0,
      pick it anyway.
    - Be more greedy about filling up relay cells -- we try reading again
      once we've processed the stuff we read, in case enough has arrived
      to fill the last cell completely.
    - Refuse application socks connections to port 0.
    - Use only 0.0.9pre1 and later servers for resolve cells.

  o Features (bandwidth):
    - Hibernation: New config option "AccountingMax" lets you
      set how many bytes per month (in each direction) you want to
      allow your server to consume. Rather than spreading those
      bytes out evenly over the month, we instead hibernate for some
      of the month and pop up at a deterministic time, work until
      the bytes are consumed, then hibernate again. Config option
      "MonthlyAccountingStart" lets you specify which day of the month
      your billing cycle starts on.
    - Implement weekly/monthly/daily accounting: now you specify your
      hibernation properties by
      AccountingMax N bytes|KB|MB|GB|TB
      AccountingStart day|week|month [day] HH:MM
        Defaults to "month 1 0:00".
    - Let bandwidth and interval config options be specified as 5 bytes,
      kb, kilobytes, etc; and as seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks.

  o Features (directories):
    - New "router-status" line in directory, to better bind each verified
      nickname to its identity key.
    - Clients can ask dirservers for /dir.z to get a compressed version
      of the directory. Only works for servers running 0.0.9, of course.
    - Make clients cache directories and use them to seed their router
      lists at startup. This means clients have a datadir again.
    - Respond to content-encoding headers by trying to uncompress as
      appropriate.
    - Clients and servers now fetch running-routers; cache
      running-routers; compress running-routers; serve compressed
      running-routers.z
    - Make moria2 advertise a dirport of 80, so people behind firewalls
      will be able to get a directory.
    - Http proxy support
      - Dirservers translate requests for http://%s:%d/x to /x
      - You can specify "HttpProxy %s[:%d]" and all dir fetches will
        be routed through this host.
      - Clients ask for /tor/x rather than /x for new enough dirservers.
        This way we can one day coexist peacefully with apache.
      - Clients specify a "Host: %s%d" http header, to be compatible
        with more proxies, and so running squid on an exit node can work.
    - Protect dirservers from overzealous descriptor uploading -- wait
      10 seconds after directory gets dirty, before regenerating.

  o Features (packages and install):
    - Add NSI installer contributed by J Doe.
    - Apply NT service patch from Osamu Fujino. Still needs more work.
    - Commit VC6 and VC7 workspace/project files.
    - Commit a tor.spec for making RPM files, with help from jbash.
    - Add contrib/torctl.in contributed by Glenn Fink.
    - Make expand_filename handle ~ and ~username.
    - Use autoconf to enable largefile support where necessary. Use
      ftello where available, since ftell can fail at 2GB.
    - Ship src/win32/ in the tarball, so people can use it to build.
    - Make old win32 fall back to CWD if SHGetSpecialFolderLocation
      is broken.

  o Features (ui controller):
    - Control interface: a separate program can now talk to your
      client/server over a socket, and get/set config options, receive
      notifications of circuits and streams starting/finishing/dying,
      bandwidth used, etc. The next step is to get some GUIs working.
      Let us know if you want to help out. See doc/control-spec.txt .
    - Ship a contrib/tor-control.py as an example script to interact
      with the control port.
    - "tor --hash-password zzyxz" will output a salted password for
      use in authenticating to the control interface.
    - Implement the control-spec's SAVECONF command, to write your
      configuration to torrc.
    - Get cookie authentication for the controller closer to working.
    - When set_conf changes our server descriptor, upload a new copy.
      But don't upload it too often if there are frequent changes.

  o Features (config and command-line):
    - Deprecate unofficial config option abbreviations, and abbreviations
      not on the command line.
    - Configuration infrastructure support for warning on obsolete
      options.
    - Give a slightly more useful output for "tor -h".
    - Break DirFetchPostPeriod into:
      - DirFetchPeriod for fetching full directory,
      - StatusFetchPeriod for fetching running-routers,
      - DirPostPeriod for posting server descriptor,
      - RendPostPeriod for posting hidden service descriptors.
    - New log format in config:
      "Log minsev[-maxsev] stdout|stderr|syslog" or
      "Log minsev[-maxsev] file /var/foo"
    - DirPolicy config option, to let people reject incoming addresses
      from their dirserver.
    - "tor --list-fingerprint" will list your identity key fingerprint
      and then exit.
    - Make tor --version --version dump the cvs Id of every file.
    - New 'MyFamily nick1,...' config option for a server to
      specify other servers that shouldn't be used in the same circuit
      with it. Only believed if nick1 also specifies us.
    - New 'NodeFamily nick1,nick2,...' config option for a client to
      specify nodes that it doesn't want to use in the same circuit.
    - New 'Redirectexit pattern address:port' config option for a
      server to redirect exit connections, e.g. to a local squid.
    - Add "pass" target for RedirectExit, to make it easier to break
      out of a sequence of RedirectExit rules.
    - Make the dirservers file obsolete.
      - Include a dir-signing-key token in directories to tell the
        parsing entity which key is being used to sign.
      - Remove the built-in bulky default dirservers string.
      - New config option "Dirserver %s:%d [fingerprint]", which can be
        repeated as many times as needed. If no dirservers specified,
        default to moria1,moria2,tor26.
      - Make 'Routerfile' config option obsolete.
    - Discourage people from setting their dirfetchpostperiod more often
      than once per minute.

  o Features (other):
    - kill -USR2 now moves all logs to loglevel debug (kill -HUP to
      get back to normal.)
    - Accept *:706 (silc) in default exit policy.
    - Implement new versioning format for post 0.1.
    - Distinguish between TOR_TLS_CLOSE and TOR_TLS_ERROR, so we can
      log more informatively.
    - Check clock skew for verified servers, but allow unverified
      servers and clients to have any clock skew.
    - Make sure the hidden service descriptors are at a random offset
      from each other, to hinder linkability.
    - Clients now generate a TLS cert too, in preparation for having
      them act more like real nodes.
    - Add a pure-C tor-resolve implementation.
    - Use getrlimit and friends to ensure we can reach MaxConn (currently
      1024) file descriptors.
    - Raise the max dns workers from 50 to 100.

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA