First quantum crypto bank transfer

Matt Crawford crawdad at fnal.gov
Mon Aug 23 08:50:32 EDT 2004

>> | However, I still don't believe that quantum cryptography can buy you
>> | anything but research funding (and probably easier lawful intercept
>> | because end-to-end encryption is so much harder).
>
>> Not to attack you personally - I've heard the same comments from many
>> other
>> people - but this is a remarkably parochial attitude.
>>
>> Quantum crypto raises fundamental issues in physics.
>
> But we aren't physicists.

Hey!

> It isn't research any more. There are companies trying to *sell this*.

Please don't blame the physicists for that.  It is still research, but
someone is selling tincture of quantum physics in their snake-oil
bottles.  Too bad that may poison the market for a really useful
development a few years from now, but it does help shake the money tree
for research.  And physics can use every dime it can get right now.

                 Matt Crawford   <crawdad at fnal.gov>
                 Fermilab Computer Security Coordinator
                 http://www.fnal.gov/