quantum hype

Jaap-Henk Hoepman jhh at cs.kun.nl
Mon Sep 22 03:05:24 EDT 2003

I always understood that QKD is based on a hard problem of which the theory of
physics says it is impossible to find a solution (if not, then i'd like to
know). Then if QKD breaks, the current theory of physics was wrong.

On the other hand, if DH or RSA breaks, factoring or the discrete log turn out
to be polynomial. This is earthshattering, but doesn't imply our theory of
computing was wrong.

Whether one is a stronger foundation than the other is really a philosophical
question (and a an interesting one too... ;-)

Jaap-Henk

--
Jaap-Henk Hoepman           |  I've got sunshine in my pockets
Dept. of Computer Science   |  Brought it back to spray the day
(w) www.cs.kun.nl/~jhh      |  (m) jhh at cs.kun.nl
(t) +31 24 36 52710/531532  |  (f) +31 24 3653137