The Code Book - in CD form

Ian Grigg iang at systemics.com
Sun Sep 21 16:39:37 EDT 2003

Has anyone reviewed Simon Singh's CD version
of "The Code Book" ?

http://www.simonsingh.net/The_CDROM.html

After 12 months of intense development, the interactive
CD-ROM version of The Code Book is now available. I might
be biased, but I think that it is brilliant. Don't be
confused by the ridiculously low price, because this
CD-ROM contains tons of fascinating and dynamic material,
including:

              1. Encryption tools,
              2. Code breaking tools,
              3. Dozens of video clips,
              4. Coded messages to crack,
              5. Material for teachers, e.g., worksheets,
              6. A realistic, virtual Enigma cipher machine,
              7. A beginner's cryptography tutorial,
              8. A history of codes from 1000BC to 2000AD,
              9. Material for junior codebreakers,
            10. Interviews with Whit Diffie and Clifford Cocks,
            11. Sections on public key crypto & RSA,
            12. An animated section on quantum cryptography.

The CD-ROM is ideal for teenagers, parents who want to
encourage an interest in science and mathematics in their
children, grown-ups interested in the history of cryptography,
amateur codebreakers and anybody who wants to know about
encryption in the Information Age.
<snip>