Clipper for luggage

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Nov 16 02:00:03 EST 2003

Bill Frantz <frantz at pwpconsult.com> writes:

>I usually travel with zipper closed duffel bags.  I fasten the zipper closed
>with a screw link.  Anyone can unscrew the link and get into the bag, but it
>does effectively keep the zipper closed in transit.  I suppose it also
>provides some level of security because someone wanting to do a quick grab
>from luggage will probably pick a less-secured piece.

When true locks are banned, that's actually a rather good protection
mechanism, constituting a type of hashcash for luggage.  Someone who's looking
for targets of opportunity and has a choice between a Clipper-locked container
they can get into almost unnoticed in 5 seconds or something where it'll take
a minute or two of obvious fiddling will presumably go for the Clipper-lock.
Just don't go overboard with those custom foot-long screw machined "locks".

Peter.