Payments as an answer to spam (addenda)

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Sat May 17 19:56:52 EDT 2003

At 07:17 PM 5/17/2003 -0400, Rich Salz wrote:

>Curious.
>
>A couple of years ago, we'd go around explaining that CRL's were the
>paper booklets, and OCSP was the Verifone terminal, giving per-transactional
>validity to the credentials.
>
>I still think that makes more sense than your analogy.  But then, the
>company I was working for back then is now gone.
>         /r$

the description was that CRLs were an exact analogy of the paper booklet,
while OCSP is a more timely version of the paper booklet; aka it is a more
timely solution for an offline paradigm ... using a little bit of online
technology;
but not with the actual transition from an offline paradigm to an online
paradigm.

theoretically, the payment system could have preserved the offline paradigm
and just used the online terminal to check whether the offline credential
is still valid .... however, they actually used the online capability to
actually change from an offline paradigm to an online paradigm ... rather
than using the online capability as sort of a kludgey crutch for continuing
to prop up an offline paradigm.
--
Anne & Lynn Wheeler    http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/
Internet trivia 20th anv http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm