Russia Intercepts US Military Communications?

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Mon Mar 31 12:51:18 EST 2003

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 07:38:29PM -0500, reusch wrote:
| Via the Cryptome, http://www.cryptome.org/, "RU sure", look
| at http://www.aeronautics.ru/news/news002/news082.htm.
|
| I'm amazed at their claims of radio interception. One would
| expect that all US military communications, even trivial ones,
| are strongly encrypted, given the ease of doing this. Someone,
| more well informed, please reassure me that this is the case.

The ease of doing what?   Applying DES with a known key?  Key
management is hard.  Doing key lookups, cert chain management, etc, to
NSA level stadards is expensive.  Etc.

The non-availability of good, cheap, easy to use crypto in a COTS
package is the legacy of the ITAR and EAR.  That there is a lack of
deployed crypto in the US military should be unsuprising.

Adam

					               -Hume