Who's afraid of Mallory Wolf?

Ben Laurie ben at algroup.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 12:28:44 EST 2003

Ed Gerck wrote:
>>>BTW, this is NOT the way to make paying for CA certs go
>>>away. A technically correct way to do away with CA certs
>>>and yet avoid MITM has been demonstrated to *exist*
>>>(not by construction) in 1997, in what was called intrinsic
>>>certification -- please see  www.mcg.org.br/cie.htm
>>
>>Phew, that is a lot of pages to read (40?). Its also rather though
>>material for me to digest. Do you have something like an example
>>approach written up? I couldn't find anything on the site that did not
>>require study.
>>

> ;-) If anyone comes across a way to explain it, that does not require study,
> please let me know and I'll post it.

AFAICS, what it suggests, in a very roundabout way, is that you may be
able to verify the binding between a key and some kind of DN by being
given a list of signatures attesting to that binding. This is pretty
much PGP's Web of Trust, of course. I could be wrong, I only read it
quickly.

Cheers,

Ben.