Who's afraid of Mallory Wolf?

Ed Gerck egerck at nma.com
Tue Mar 25 02:20:48 EST 2003

"Jeroen C. van Gelderen" wrote:

> 1. Presently 1% of Internet traffic is protected by SSL against
>     MITM and eavesdropping.
>
> 2. 99% of Internet traffic is not protected at all.

I'm sorry, but no. The bug in MSIE, that prevented the correct
processing of cert path restraints and which led to easy MITM
attacks, has been fixed for some time now.  Consulting browser
statistics sites will show that the MSIE update in question,
fueled by the need for other security updates, is making
good progress.

> 3. A significant portion of the 99% could benefit from
>     protection against eavesdropping but has no need for
>     MITM protection. (This is a priori a truth, or the
>     traffic would be secured with SSL today or not exist.)

I'm sorry but the "a priori truth" above is false .  Ignorance about
the flaw, that is now fixed, and the need to do a LAN attack (if
you  want not to mess with the DNS) have helped avert a major
public exploit. The hole is now fixed and the logic fails for this
reason as well.

> 4. The SSL infrastructure (the combination of browsers,
>     servers and the protocol) does not allow the use of
>     SSL for privacy protection only. AnonDH is not supported
>     by browsers and self-signed certificates as a workaround
>     don't work well either.

There is a good reason -- MITM. AnonDH and self-signed
certs cannot prevent MITM.

> 5. The reason for (4) is that the MITM attack is overrated.
>     People refuse to provide the privacy protection because
>     it doesn't protect against MITM. Even though MITM is not
>     a realistic attack (2), (3).

But it is, please see the spoof/MITM method in my previous post.
Which, BTW, is rather old info in some circles (3 years?) and is
easy to do by script kiddies with no knowledge about anything we
are talking here -- they can simply do it. Anyone can do it.

>     (That is not to say that (1) can do without MITM
>      protection. I suspect that IanG agrees with this
>      even though his post seemed to indicate the contrary.)

I think Ian's post, with all due respect to Ian, reflects a misconception
about cert validation. The misconception is that cert validation can
be provided as an absolute reference -- it cannot. The *mathematical*
reasons are explained in the paper I cited. This misconception
was discussed some 6 years in the ssl-talk list and other lists, and
clarified at the time -- please see the archives. It was good, however,
to post this again and, again, to allow this to be clarified.

> 6. What is needed is a system that allows hassle-free,
>     incremental deployment of privacy-protecting crypto
>     without people whining about MITM protection.

You are asking for the same thing that was asked, and answered,
6 years ago in the ssl-talk and other lists. There is a way to do it
and the way is not self-signed certs or SSL AnonDH.

> Now, this is could be achieved by enabling AnonDH in the SSL
> infrastructure and making sure that the 'lock icon' is *not* displayed
> when AnonDH is in effect. Also, servers should enable and support
> AnonDH by default, unless disabled for performance reasons.

Problem -- SSL AnonDH cannot prevent MITM. The solution is
not to deny the problem and ask "who cares about MITM?"

> Ed Gerck wrote:
> > BTW, this is NOT the way to make paying for CA certs go
> > away. A technically correct way to do away with CA certs
> > and yet avoid MITM has been demonstrated to *exist*
> > (not by construction) in 1997, in what was called intrinsic
> > certification -- please see  www.mcg.org.br/cie.htm
>
> Phew, that is a lot of pages to read (40?). Its also rather though
> material for me to digest. Do you have something like an example
> approach written up? I couldn't find anything on the site that did not
> require study.

;-) If anyone comes across a way to explain it, that does not require study,
please let me know and I'll post it.

OTOH, some practical code is being developed, and has been sucessfully
tested in the past 3 years with up to 300,000 simultaneous users, which
may provide the example you ask for. Please write to me privately if you'd
like to use it.

Cheers,
Ed Gerck