Face-Recognition Technology Improves

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Mar 16 14:44:47 EST 2003

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Bill Stewart wrote:

> You're right that airport security gates are probably a pretty good
> consistent place to view the crowd, but getting the target images
> is a different problem - some of the Usual Suspects may have police mugshots,
> but for most of them it's unlikely that you've gotten them to sit down
> while you take a whole-face geometry scan to get the fingerprint.

I think the security-crazed data gatherers would just want to scan
biometrics of every single person passing through the metal detector
gates, check them against the list of usual suspects, and insert them in
realtime into a central database. Where they will remain, for indefinite
time, free for any authorized party to do data mining on.

Unless explict laws have been passed preventing this very eventuality, and
the systems are actually audited that no data is retained beyond what is
necessary for processing.