Tools for anonymous blogging

Steve Schear schear at attbi.com
Wed Mar 12 14:49:56 EST 2003

At 02:10 PM 3/12/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 11:42, Steve Schear wrote:
> > Retain the services of virtual hosting firm which accepts e-gold for
> > payment.  Prevailing costs about US$10.00/month.
>
>E-gold spammed me the other day, with a bogus HTML "about your account"
>type message.
>
>Why exactly should I consider doing business with them?

Are you certain that the email originated with E-gold?  Their policy is not
to email ads nor contact their clients via email.  Check the links and headers.

Unlike credit cards and banking institutions E-gold transactions are
non-repudiatable.  As a result, they have been a target of many fraudsters
who attempt to impersonate E-gold in email ads and bogus web sites in order
to trick E-gold customers into disclosing their account numbers and
passwords.  Once armed with this info they can proceed to quickly loot the
person's account with little chance of discovery.

This is a downside of pseudo-anonymity.  Many people are unprepared to
protect their authentication data.  The have come to depend on regulators
to protect them from themselves.  In the case of E-gold their pleas almost
always fall on deaf ears, and law enforcement has also been of little help.

steve