ADMIN: acm.org subscribers in danger

Jim Gillogly jim at cryptogram.org
Sun Mar 9 17:51:12 EST 2003

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> A large fraction of the messages being sent to acm.org are being
> tagged as spam, by some sort of highly over-aggressive anti-spam
> filter acm.org has put in.

I've switched my subscription from acm.org to cryptogram.org.

However, ACM members, now that they're alerted to the problem,
can go to http://www.acm.org and select "Manage your acm.org account"
from the right-hand column, log in, then click on "Review/update
your spam filtering options".  Once you get there, you can
explicitly exempt domains (like wasabisystems.com) from spam
filtering, and you can also click a radio button that sends
you summaries of things that have been blocked.

Additionally, you can look at "quarantined" messages they've
sent and have the ones you want to read forwarded to you.  You
can also select senders to add to your "OK" list with a radio
button on this page.

Although the initial settings are pretty procrustean, as you
suggest, the flexibility available actually looks pretty good.

Questions may be addressed to anti-spam at acm.org .
--
	Jim Gillogly
	Sterday, 17 Rethe S.R. 2003, 22:47