double shot of snake oil, good conclusion

Ed Gerck egerck at nma.com
Fri Mar 7 17:08:16 EST 2003

Tal Garfinkel wrote:

> Clearly, document controls are not a silver bullet, but if used properly
> I believe they do provide a practical means of helping to restrict the
> propagation of sensitive information.

I believe we are in agreement in many points. Microsoft's mistake was
to claim that "For example, it might be possible to view a document but
not to forward or print it."  As I commented, of course it is possible
to copy of forward it.  Thus, claiming that it isn't possible is snake oil
and I think we need to point it out.

I'd hope that the emphasis on trustworthy computing will help Microsoft
weed out these declarations and, thus, help set a higher standard.

Cheers,
Ed Gerck