Scientists question electronic voting

Ed Gerck egerck at nma.com
Fri Mar 7 16:38:11 EST 2003

"(Mr) Lyn R. Kennedy" wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:35:22PM -0500, Barney Wolff wrote:
> >
> > We certainly don't want an electronic system that is more
> > vulnerable than existing systems, but sticking with known-to-be-terrible
> > systems is not a sensible choice either.
>
> Paper ballots, folded, and dropped into a large transparent box, is not a
> broken system.

The broken system is the *entire* system -- from voter registration,
to ballot presentation (butterfly?), ballot casting, ballot storage,
tallying, auditing, and reporting.

> It's voting machines, punch cards, etc that are broken.
> I don't recall seeing news pictures of an election in any other western
> democracy where they used machines.

Brazil, 120 million voters, 100% electronic in 2002, close to 100%
since the 90's, no paper copy (and it failed when tried). BTW, the
3 nations with largest number of voters are, respectively:

- India
- Brazil
- US

Cheers,