Delta CAPPS-2 watch: decrypt boarding passes!

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Fri Mar 7 15:26:30 EST 2003

John Gilmore writes:
 > And, besides identifying what cities they're doing this in, we should
 > also start examining a collection of these boarding passes, looking
 > for the encrypted "let me through without searching me" information.
 > Or the "Don't let me fly" information.  Then we can evaluate how easy
 > it would be to turn one into another.  (Don't mistake a system that
 > claims to provide security for one that actually does.)

May I suggest as a non-violent civil disobedience measure, that if
anyone gains the ability to change the insecurity level, that they
should be careful to change it from green to yellow, or yellow to red.
In that manner, you cannot be accused to trying to escape scrutiny.
You make your point[1] more effectively by demonstrating that you are
willing to suffer for your cause.  Like the guy who wouldn't take off
the T-shirt that he *bought* in the mall.

[1] that the only thing worse than taking away our freedom is by
doing it using insecure cryptography.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | "What Problem Are You Trying
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | To Solve?" is a service mark