Delta CAPPS-2 watch: decrypt boarding passes!

Roy M. Silvernail roy at scytale.com
Thu Mar 6 19:02:09 EST 2003

On Thursday 06 March 2003 02:34 pm, John Ioannidis wrote:

> Both JFK and SFO have stopped gate searches.  Searches at security are
> still decided by the TSA personnel there (they don't get to see your
> boarding pass).

FWIW, MSP initial security screening wants to see your boarding pass.  I
didn't see anyone try to avoid showing it.

The last time I was through SFO, this new jihad hadn't started, but I got yet
another lesson in the lack of sense of humor among the staff.  Asked to take
my creaky old ThinkPad 760XL out of its case to be x-rayed, I said "Be nice
to it; it's old."  Whereupon I was invited out of line so the explosives
residue screener could give it a wipedown.  Even so, it was better than the
beginning of that trip, when I'd forgotten to take my Victorinox Signature
off of my keychain.  (that's a 1.6" Swiss Army Knife with a pen, an LED
flashlight and a 1.25" blade)  At least I was given the opportunity to FedEx
it back to the office.