Scientists question electronic voting

Ed Gerck egerck at nma.com
Thu Mar 6 21:17:29 EST 2003

Dan Riley wrote:

> The vote can't be final until the voter confirms the paper receipt.
> It's inevitable that some voters won't realize they voted the wrong
> way until seeing the printed receipt, so that has to be allowed for.
> Elementary human factors.

This brings in two other factors I have against this idea:

- a user should not be called upon to distrust the system that the user
is trusting in the first place.

- too many users may reject the paper receipt because they changed their
minds, making it impossible to say whether the e-vote was wrong or
correct based on the number of rejected e-votes.

> But this whole discussion is terribly last century--still pictures are
> passe.  What's the defense of any of these systems against cell phones
> that transmit live video?

This was in my first message, and some subsequent ones too:

"For example, using the proposed system a voter can easily, by using a
small concealed camera or a cell phone with a camera, obtain a copy of
that receipt and use it to get money for the vote, or keep the job. And
no one would know or be able to trace it."

Cheers,
Ed Gerck