Scientists question electronic voting

Ed Gerck egerck at nma.com
Thu Mar 6 15:15:03 EST 2003

bear wrote:

> Let's face it, if somebody can *see* their vote, they can record it.

Not necessarily. Current paper ballots do not offer you a way to record
*your* vote. You may even photograph your ballot but there is no way to
prove that *that* was the ballot you did cast. In the past, we had ballots with
different collors for each party ;-) so people could see if you were voting
Republican or Democrat, but this is no longer the case.

> and if someone can record it, then systems for counterfeiting such a
> record already exist and are already widely dispersed.

It's easier than one may think to have a reliable proof, if you can photograph
the ballot that you *did* cast (as in that proposal for printing a paper receipt
with your vote choices) -- just wait out of the poll place and demand the
film right there, or wait out of the poll place, hear the voter's voice right
then and get the image sent by the cell phone before the voter leaves the
poll booth.

Cheers,
Ed Gerck