Scientists question electronic voting

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Thu Mar 6 10:13:22 EST 2003

> Ian Brown[SMTP:I.Brown at cs.ucl.ac.uk] wrote:
>

> Ed Gerck wrote:
> > Printing a paper receipt that the voter can see is a proposal
> > that addresses one of the major weaknesses of electronic
> > voting. However, it creates problems that are even harder to
> > solve than the silent subversion of e-records.
> >
> > For example, using the proposed system a voter can easily, by
> > using a small concealed camera or a cell phone with a camera,
> > obtain a copy of that receipt and use it to get money for the
> > vote, or keep the job. And no one would know or be able to trace it.
>
> As a voter could record what they did with pencil-and-paper or a
> mechanical voting machine.
>
> The partial defence in all three systems is that the voter should be
> able to void the vote after photographing a "receipt" to hand over later
> to the vote-buyer, and then cast a real vote. In the UK, for example,
> you can obtain a new ballot paper from a polling station official in
> exchange for a "spoiled" one. I believe Rebecca Mercuri has always
> suggested that a voter should be able to confirm whether a receipt
> printed by an electronic voting machine correctly records their intended
> vote, and if not to void it.

I'd prefer that the printed receipt be retained at the polling station,
after the
voter has had an opportunity to examine it. This serves two purposes: First,
it prevents the vote selling described above, and second, if a recount is
required, it allows the recount to be done on the basis of a trustworthy
record, already certified by the voter as accurate.

This loses some of the economic benefits of all-electronic systems, since
security still needs to be provided for the receipts for some period, but
is far less prone to invisible abuse.

Peter Trei