double shot of snake oil, good conclusion

A.Melon juicy at melontraffickers.com
Sun Mar 2 22:55:53 EST 2003

Ed writes claiming this speculation about Palladium's implicatoins is
mis-informed:

> while others speculated on "another potentially devastating effect",
> that the DRM could, via a loophole in the DoJ consent decree, allow
> Microsoft to withhold information about file formats and APIs from
> other companies which are attempting to create compatible or
> competitive products

I think you misunderstand the technical basis for this claim.  The
point is Palladium would allow Microsoft to publish a file format and
yet still control compatibility via software certification and
certification on content of the software vendor who's software created
it.

Your other claims about the limited implications for whistle-blowing
(or file trading of movies and mp3s) I agree with.