Wiretap Act Does Not Cover Message 'in Storage' For Short Period

Tim Dierks tim at dierks.org
Sun Mar 2 19:44:06 EST 2003

At 01:47 PM 3/2/2003 +0000, MindFuq wrote:
>* Tim Dierks <tim at dierks.org> [2003-03-02 12:27]:
> >
> > This would seem to imply to me that the wiretap act does not apply to any
> > normal telephone conversation which is carried at any point in its transit
> > by an electronic switch, including all cell phone calls and nearly all
> > wireline calls, since any such switch places the data of the ongoing call
> > in "storage" for a tiny fraction of a second.
>
>I believe the reason behind the 'in storage' rule is that someone
>could protect non-transmitted information under the Wiretap Act by
>transmitting it needlessly.  Then they could say that because the
>information was transmitted, law enforcement now needs the more
>difficult to obtain wiretap permit just to search the premesis.

You may be correct as to intent, but the originally forwarded article says:

 > The court relied on Konop
 > v. Hawaiian Airlines Inc., which held that no Wiretap Act
 > violation occurs when an electronic communication is
 > accessed while in storage, "even if the interception takes
 > place during a nanosecond 'juncture' of storage along the
 > path of transmission."  Case name is U.S. v. Councilman.

which includes the phrase "along the path of transmission."

In order to avoid overreaction to a nth-hand story, I've attempted to
locate some primary sources.

Konop v. Hawaiian Airlines:
   http://laws.lp.findlaw.com/getcase/9th/case/9955106p&exact=1

My understanding is that Konop v. Hawaiian Airlines was a lawsuit by Robert
Konop against his former employer, Hawaiian Airlines. Mr. Konop had
operated a website where he published a variety of allegations about
Hawaiian, and he restricted access to that site by username and password. A
manager at Hawaiian gained the permission of two other employees of the
airline to use their names in accessing the website; Konop found out about
the access and sued Hawaiian. Among other grounds, he claimed that
management viewing his site constituted an "interception" of electronic
communications in violation of the wiretap act.

I won't go into any argument about the plausibility of this claim; I'll
just summarize the legal proceedings thereafter. The federal district court
which heard the case granted summary judgement against Konop on the wiretap
claims; the 9th circuit court of appeals then reversed the district court's
decision on the wiretap claims. Thereafter, the 9th circuit withdrew that
opinion, then affirmed the district court's original judgement against
Konop. Thus, the end result is that the wiretap claim does not hold. Why?

Amid other reasoning, the court refers to an old friend, Steve Jackson
Games, Inc. v. United States Secret Service. In summary, the fifth circuit
court determined that e-mail stored on a machine was not protected by the
wiretap act, because an "electronic communication" cannot be "intercepted"
in the same way that a "wire communication" can be. This reasoning has been
upheld with respect to voicemail messages.

There is a footnote that specifically addresses the interesting question:
that all electronic messages involve storage at some point, so the wiretap
act is meaningless with respect to electronic communication. The crucial
conclusion is:

>While this argument is not without appeal, the language and structure of
>the ECPA demonstrate that Congress considered and rejected this argument.
>Congress defined "electronic storage" as "any temporary, intermediate
>storage of a wire or electronic communication incidental to the electronic
>transmission thereof," 18 U.S.C. § 2510(17)(A), indicating that Congress
>understood that electronic storage was an inherent part of electronic
>communication. Nevertheless, as discussed above, Congress chose to afford
>stored electronic communications less protection than other forms of
>communication.

United States of America vs. Bradford S. Councilman:
   http://pacer.mad.uscourts.gov/dc/opinions/ponsor/pdf/councilman2.pdf

The Government charged Mr. Councilman with conspiracy to violate the
wiretap act. Apparently, they claim that he used the contents of electronic
mail passing through his service for commercial gain.

The judge seems quite aware of the implications of the decision and the
effect of the Konop precedent, but dismisses the charge.

Based upon this rationale, it seems that one cannot be convicted of
violating the wiretap act unless one actually taps into electric signals.
For example, it would seem to continue to be illegal to intercept 802.11 RF
signals, but possible not be illegal to plug a cable into an ethernet hub
and copy all traffic on the subnet (since most hubs "store" packets
internally for transmission), and perfectly OK to subvert a router to
forward copies of all packets to you.

I'd be interested in any opinions on how this affects the government's need
to get specific wiretap warrants; I don't know if the law which makes
illicit civilian wiretapping illegal is the same code which governs the
government's ability (or lack thereof) to intercept communications.

  - Tim