Some good words needed...

Greg Rose ggr at qualcomm.com
Sun Mar 2 19:09:17 EST 2003

After a long effort, I finally got agreement from my company to make our
encryption algorithms freely available. (See
http://www.qualcomm.com/press/pr/releases2003/press1161.html if you care.)
Somewhat unexpectedly, we now have a number of queries saying basically
"That's unpatriotic, giving it away to the terrorists!" Note that they were
already *available* to them, it just wasn't free for all uses! So I guess
it's unpatriotic to fail to make money from these terrible weapons. I won't
even get into the issue of me being a furriner in the first place. Anyway.

I'm perfectly capable of writing my own words on the subject, but I also
know that they've been written many times before. What are people's
"favourite", succinct expressions of why it's OK to give away encryption
algorithms?

To keep the list uncluttered, I suggest people send me suggestions, and
I'll compile, collate, and report back to the list.

thanks and regards,
Greg.

Greg Rose                                       INTERNET: ggr at qualcomm.com
Qualcomm Australia          VOICE:  +61-2-9817 4188   FAX: +61-2-9817 5199
Level 3, 230 Victoria Road,                http://people.qualcomm.com/ggr/
Gladesville NSW 2111    232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F  E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C