Session Fixation Vulnerability in Web Based Apps

Pete Chown Pete.Chown at skygate.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 04:52:24 EDT 2003

Jill.Ramonsky at Aculab.com wrote:

> When the user logs in, the server stores the client's IP address in a
> session variable (so it's stored at the server end - the client just gets a
> session id). Authentication of subesequent pages is assumed only if the
> client's IP address matches the IP address stored in the session variable
> corresponding to the client's session.

Unfortunately not all users have a single IP.  I know AOL users, for
example, go through a cluster of proxies that all have their own IP
addresses.  This means that the web server can see a different IP every
time the browser makes a request.

You might also have a problem with multi user machines.  The users on
the machine would be able to take over each others' sessions, even if
they couldn't do it with outsiders.

I don't think this session ID problem is a fundamental design error,
it's just a bug in certain implementations that are out there at the
moment.  If a server receives a session ID from a browser that doesn't
exist, it shouldn't simply create it.  Instead it should issue a new
random session ID.  This solves the problem doesn't it?

--
Pete