Quantum crypto, from BBC

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Tue Jun 10 02:42:24 EDT 2003

At 12:44 PM 06/07/2003 -0400, John S. Denker wrote:
>On 06/07/2003 08:04 AM, Udhay Shankar N wrote:
>>I haven't seen this discussed here yet.

I hadn't seen this particular implementation of it discussed here
before your posting, but as John points out, the topic has been discussed.
It's somewhat cool, but not particularly useful.

>On the scale of physics hype, quantum crypto in
>particular and quantum computation in general are
>nowhere near as bad as cold fusion, but perhaps
>comparable to high-Tc superconductors, which had
>a definite basis in fact, but their practicality
>was wildly overclaimed.

Quantum computers that can actually do factoring of usefully
large numbers would have a major impact on the whole crypto field.
But quantum cryptography for sending messages
is seldom any more useful than sending an occasional courier
with a briefcase handcuffed to his arm,
which probably costs a lot less than stringing fiber.

It's also not very useful for preventing traffic analysis :-)