Quantum crypto, from BBC

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sat Jun 7 17:01:43 EDT 2003

Udhay Shankar N <udhay at pobox.com> writes:
> I haven't seen this discussed here yet. Is there something to this?

Quantum Cryptography is a really expensive way to provide link
encryption that is perhaps marginally better in some theoretical sense
to simply using, say, AES link encryption boxes at both ends, but in
day to day practice provides no additional security at all.

It is the sort of thing that fascinates people who are interested in
neat solutions that solve no real problems.

In the real world, the issue is not finding cryptographic mechanisms
that are good enough. We have fine algorithms for securing links
already. It is getting people to use them, and getting programmers not
to misuse them or make other mistakes that render them moot.

Perry