[IP] Master Key Copying Revealed (Matt Blaze of ATT Labs)

Pete Chown Pete.Chown at skygate.co.uk
Sat Jan 25 06:53:23 EST 2003

Len Sassaman wrote:

> Most of the time, the lock is not the weakest point of attack.

Isn't this like saying that cryptography isn't important, because most
real world attacks aren't cipher breaks?  Also, if you pick the lock,
potentially no one will know that you gained access.  An ordinary
burglar can just break a window, but someone with a more subtle reason
for wanting to gain access may not want to.

If I wanted to make a building physically secure, my instinct would be
to use electronic locks.  While attacks on, say, an iButton are probably
possible, it seems to me that it must be an order of magnitude more
difficult than attacking a mechanical lock.

Now, I'm not an expert on locks, so firstly am I right?  If so, does
this mean that high security mechanical locks will gradually disappear?

--
Pete