[IP] Master Key Copying Revealed (Matt Blaze of ATT Labs)

bear bear at sonic.net
Sat Jan 25 04:39:53 EST 2003

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Sampo Syreeni wrote:

>Sure. But trying those combinations out can be automated -- I don't think
>the kind of automatic lock pickers one sees in current action movies are
>*entirely* fictional.

There are several types of devices that can convince a keylock
to open.  One of them is a kind of spring-loaded bar, usually
on a handle.  The bar is inserted into the keyhole, and then the
spring is released and a weight whacks the bar fairly hard.
This transmits the shock to the pins resting on the bar, and
thence to the other side of the pins resting across the cut
from the shocked side.

The result is that the pins fly apart momentarily against the
retaining springs.  If your timing is good, you can turn the lock
immediately after the 'snap' of the spring slamming shut.  It
usually takes an experienced user no more than three or four
tries to get the timing right.

This is actually a very simple device to construct.  I ran
across it in a book on locks and mechanisms.  Some folks call
it an automatic lock picker, but it's really just a snap
mechanism.  I've never actually seen one in person, but I
can give you the name and publication date of the pamphlet I
saw it in if I can find it around here.

				Bear