[IP] Master Key Copying Revealed (Matt Blaze of ATT Labs)

Matt Blaze mab at research.att.com
Fri Jan 24 15:41:23 EST 2003

Len,

We're probably getting a bit into the depths of the details for this
(cryptography-oriented) list, so I'll certainly understand if Perry doesn't
forward this on.

It surely would be possible to have a Medeco-type design using
different rotations for the change and master by cutting new holes/grooves
in the bottom pin.  I've not seen that on any of the Biaxial pins
I've looked at, and the Medeco pinning kits I've seen  seem to have
such pins in them (maybe they sell them only to certain customers?  In
any case, such a kit would have to be very large indeed).

But even if they did, you'd still be able to straightforwardly do the
attack, consuming up to 3 (in the standard design) or 6 (in the Biaxial
design) blanks per pin (at each rotation/offset).

Some of the "restricted" Medeco blanks are in fact readily available; others
aren't but can be modified from available blanks, and still others
seem to require extensive milling or casting.

-matt