Fast factoring hardware

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Jan 24 14:13:31 EST 2003

I got the following forwarded along yesterday from someone who'd had
it forwarded along, apparently with reasonable permission along the
chain. The message indicated the paper could be distributed, so I
don't think I'm violating any trusts.

Unfortunately the attached paper (which I'm still reading) is far too
long to email to the whole list, but I'm trying to get a URL for it so
people can download it at will.

[...]
From: Adi Shamir[...]

I am attaching to this email a new paper coauthored with Eran
Tromer. It describes a new hardware device called TWIRL (The
Weizmann Institute Relation Locator) which is 3-4 orders of
magnitude more efficient than previous designs (including TWINKLE)
in implementing the sieving part of the NFS factoring algorithm.
Based on a detailed design and simulation (but without an actual
implementation), we believe that the NFS sieving step for 1024-bit
RSA keys can be completed in less than a year on a $10M TWIRL machine,
and that the NFS sieving step for 512-bit RSA keys can be completed in
less than 10 minutes on a $10K TWIRL machine.

Please feel free to send copies of the paper to anyone you wish.

Best regards,

Adi Shamir.
[...]