DeCSS, crypto, (regions removed??!)

alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Jan 9 08:13:03 EST 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Bill Stewart wrote:

> At 03:54 PM 01/08/2003 +0100, Martin Olsson wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I dont know if this is relevant to the discussion, but in Sweden (not a
> >region-1 country) people where so pissed at the regionsystem (and the fact
> >that most computer geeks could go around it, but the average person could
> >not) that the whole region concept had to be removed. Ie. this forced the
> >large companies to rethink and nowadays we have commercial region-free DVD
> >players in most stores.
>
> That's an interesting change - a couple of years ago,
> friends from Sweden told me that the standard was to
> strictly sell only region-enforcing DVD players
> and then charge a bit extra for installing the
> region-free mod chips that everybody bought.
> I guess they've stopped bothering with the games by now.

I wonder how they deal with the RCE (Region Code Enforced) discs?

RCE is a sceme that causes the disc not to work in region free players.
If you want a good test disc, try the region 1 version of "Spider-man".
In a region free player it will bring up a map of region codes and make
nasty noises about how you need a region one player.  The disc works fine
in players where you can set the region.  (Some region ocdeless players
can do this, some cannot.)

You can find places that sell region free players by searching on Google
for "Apex region free DVD".  The only one I have used is
www.220-electronics.com and I will not order from their insecure web page.