DeCSS, crypto, (regions removed??!)

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Thu Jan 9 14:07:19 EST 2003

At 03:54 PM 01/08/2003 +0100, Martin Olsson wrote:
>Hi,
>I dont know if this is relevant to the discussion, but in Sweden (not a
>region-1 country) people where so pissed at the regionsystem (and the fact
>that most computer geeks could go around it, but the average person could
>not) that the whole region concept had to be removed. Ie. this forced the
>large companies to rethink and nowadays we have commercial region-free DVD
>players in most stores.

That's an interesting change - a couple of years ago,
friends from Sweden told me that the standard was to
strictly sell only region-enforcing DVD players
and then charge a bit extra for installing the
region-free mod chips that everybody bought.
I guess they've stopped bothering with the games by now.