Columbia crypto box

Matthew Byng-Maddick cryptography at lists.colondot.net
Mon Feb 10 10:56:53 EST 2003

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 11:43:55PM -0500, Donald Eastlake 3rd wrote:
> been that you either throw away the first 256 bytes of stream key output
> or use a different key on every message. WEP does neither. TKIP, the new

You NEVER, EVER, re-use the key for a stream cipher, if you do, you might
as well just give up. By re-using the key, I can get
plaintext (combinator) plaintext, which is easier to solve than
plaintext (combinator) cipherstream.

It's one of those things, like re-using a pad.

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick         <mbm at colondot.net>           http://colondot.net/