Columbia crypto box

Donald Eastlake 3rd dee3 at torque.pothole.com
Sun Feb 9 23:43:55 EST 2003

While I'm not claiming RC4 is strong, the main problem is that WEP
misuses it. At I understand it, the recommendation for a long time has
been that you either throw away the first 256 bytes of stream key output
or use a different key on every message. WEP does neither. TKIP, the new
security mode for 802.11 designed for feeble legacy hardware, still uses
RC4 but does change keys on every message.

Thanks,
Donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd                       dee3 at torque.pothole.com
 155 Beaver Street              +1-508-634-2066(h) +1-508-851-8280(w)
 Milford, MA 01757 USA                   Donald.Eastlake at motorola.com