A talk on Intellectual Property and National Defense

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Tue Feb 4 11:42:09 EST 2003

Dave,

I think Peter was responding to me, not you.

And no, I'm not proposing that this be done, but I suspect that the
RIAA and MPAA will go as far as saying no off-net viewing of
controlled media.  Recall that they already supported the DIVX system
which required a phone line to work.   From their perspective, its
their content, and they're going to squeeze it as much from it as they
can.

Adam

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 11:37:20AM -0500, Dave Farber wrote:
| Sorry that is not what I said. Where did you get that from the above?
|
| On 2/4/03 11:28 AM, "Trei, Peter" <ptrei at rsasecurity.com> wrote:
|
| >> Adam Shostack[SMTP:adam at homeport.org] writes:
| >>
| >> I believe that DRM systems will require not just an authorized boot
| >> sequence, but a secure remote attestation that that boot sequence was
| >> followed, and a secure attestation as to the versions of the software
| >> on your system.  So, while a secure system is needed for AT/DRM, its
| >> not enough.
| >>
| > Let me get this straight - in order to make the RIAA and MPAA richer,
| > we're going to ban off-net computer use? If you're not near a WiFi
| > hotspot you won't be able to boot your laptop?
| >
| > Peter Trei

					               -Hume